Situated at the foothill of Panchakot (panchet hill),in the north east corner of the Purulia district, close to the boundary with Burdwan and Jharkhand. It was a fortified area owned by the rulers of Panchakot, the Singh Deo dynasty. Apart from ruins of fort, Panchet hill and Panchet dam creates a mesmerizing view of nature in this area.
How to reach:
This place is well connected by railway and roads with Kolkata, Asansol and Jharkhand.
- By Train: Come to Adra junction(25 km from Garh Panchakot) by any train. From there hire private cars or take local bus for going to Garh Panchakot.
- By Bus: SBSTSC buses is available from Esplade to Purulia via Asansol (for more details check the SBSTC site given in the resource section). From there hire private cars or take local bus for going to Garh Panchakot. Distance of Garh Panchakot from Purulia is about 60 Km and from Asansol is about 30 Km.
- By Car: From Kolkata through Durgapur Expressway to Asansol. Then take the Asansol-Purulia road to Garh Panchakot.
Best time to visit:
Can be visited anytime but try to avoid summers(April to June).
Places for sightseeing :
Points of attraction -
- Garh Panchakot : Ruins of fort
- Panchet Hill: This hill is about 2,100 ft high. Hilltop offers picturesque and panoramic view of the command area of the Panchet dam on Damodar river and its reservoir.
- Panchet Dam: This dams constructed across the Damodar river covers an area of 27.92 sq km
- Telkupi: The ruins of Telkupi, an ancient city, almost submerged in Panchet Lake.
- Maithon Dam: About 30 km from Garh Panchakot
- Baranti : A place of scenic beauty centered by an irrigation project dam, located between the Baranti and Muradi hills.
- WBFDC NATURE RESORT - Website | Booking page
- Garhpanchkot Eco Tourism - Website
- Panchet Residency - Website
- Charulata Resorts (Aranye Din Ratri) - Website
For any query regarding accommodation or other travel related information please contact us. We will be happy to help you.