Mukutmanipur is famous for its natural beauty and peaceful environment surrounded by Kangsabati dam, forest and hills. Kangsabati dam is made at the confluence of Kangsabati and Kumari rivers. It is the second biggest earth dam of India.
Situated in the district of Bankura. Distance form Kolkata to Bankura center town is around 210 km. Form Bankura center town distance of Mukutmanipur is around 50 km.
How to reach:
Bankura District is well connected by several roads with Durgapur, Purulia, Midnapur, Kharagpur and Kolkata.
- By train : Trains are available from Kolkata(Howrah) to Bankura Junction. It will take around 4-5 hours. Form railway station distance of Mukutmanipur is around 50 km.Form there, local buses are available for Mukutmanipur. They can take around 2 hours. If you want more comfortable and quick journey, cars can be hired from the railway station at a cost of 8-12 Rs/km (at the time of writing this article).
- By bus: SBSTC Buses are also available from Kolkata to Bankura town from Esplande or Karunamoyee Bus terminal. It will take around 5-6 hours. From Bankura town you have to take another bus or car as mentioned above.
- By car : One can also drive down from Kolkata to Mukutmanipur easily. It will take approximately 6 hours. There are two routes. The shorter one (241 km)is Kolkata > Tarakeswar > Arambag > Bishnupur > Bankura > Mukutmanipur. The second possible route (270 km) is Kolkata > Dankuni > Bardhaman > Durgapur (till here NH2) > Bankura (SH9)> Mukutmanipur.
Best time to visit:
Can be visited anytime but try to avoid summers(April to June). Best time will be winters(November to February)
Places for sightseeing :
- The Kangsabati Dam
- Deer Park
- Musafirana View Point
- Pareshnath Shiv Mandir
- Jhilimili and Sutan Forest (15 km from Mukutmanipur)
Available Activities :
- Boat ride in the Kangsabati dam
- Relax and enjoy the peaceful nature. Take a walk along the road surrounding the dam
- Buy dokra and pottery items
- In winters you can go there for picnic.
It will take 1-2 days to explore this place.
Cost (Accommodation, Food & Sightseeing) :
Approx minimum cost for accommodation, food & sightseeing in this place is around 1200 INR per day per person. This is only an indicative price and can vary depending upon your hotel choices, food and transport preferences. Obviously this cost will be reduced if you travel with a group of people.
- Be prepared for mosquitoes. Take mosquito repellent creams, coils etc. As this is a remote area, mobile network coverage can be non-existent or bad.
- Be careful (specially if you are with children) while boating or when roaming near to the dam. Avoid bathing in the dam if you don't know swimming.
- There will be less public transportation service(bus, auto) after sunset. So if you are planning to visit somewhere from Mukutmanipur then plan accordingly.
- Do not litter the lake and surrounding environment. Please respect the nature.
- Sonajhuri Prakriti Bhraman Kendra : Govt. Resort(WBFDCL) | Booking Site | Ph: +91 7604044479/ +9133 2335 0064
- Ahla Lodge : Booking Site
- Hotel Amrapali : Booking Site
- Hotel Aparajita : Booking Site
- Peerless Resort : Booking Site
- Hotels in Bankura : Booking Site
Trip preparation :
Travel essentials for this trip -
- Mosquito repellents
- Power banks
- Torch & Batteries
- Warm Clothes (for winter)
- Travel Pillows
- Travel bags
Content compiled by Xplore Destinations Team. For external images, credit given at the bottom of the images.
Updated on 28 Nov 2018.